Friday, September 19, 2008

Wish every FRIDAY was A WEDNESDAY!!!!

I posted my last blog on a Tuesday with an open ended question. Least did I expect to find an answer to my question "IN" "A Wednesday" )that ain't a grammatical error)that I unravelled on a Thursday (Yesterday) and putting forth that answer to everyone on a Friday (today). Yes I am talking about the movie "A Wednesday". Along with finding an answer to my question, this is also a film that reaffirmed my belief that Naseeruddin Shah is an actor par excellence, the only actor to have understood the finer nuances of this medium of expression and making his character come out real and alive from the silver screen. This is also a film that will allay the doubts of several people who still think we have no actor to match up to the standards of Marlon Brando and Al Pacino (I am not trying to set up a benchmark to rate Indian actors- but simply making a statement reflecting the common sensibility and perception of Bollywood vs. Hollywood hoopla.) Coming back to Naseeruddin Shah- I call him a true genius (A genius is a person of great intelligence who shows an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work, something that has never been seen ) I made an effort to reiterate the Oxford definition of genius coz the term is now being so oft used (read abused) that it has become almost analogous to mediocrity.
Having said that it is only fair that I enlist the names of a few people who I truly consider genius. Albert Einstein undoubtedly (am too small a mortal to even write anything more), Jimmy Hendrix (the greatest guitarist of all times and here I do have someone to corroborate my opinion- the old man from "The pursuit of Happyness"),William Shakespeare (the greatest literary genius), Sir Garfield Sobers (I know the expected name would have been Sir Donald Bradman)- but this name is purely going by my dad's instincts, expertise and knowledge of the game and the fact that he has seen this cricketing legend's live display of his skill on numerous occasions) and finally Pt.Jawaharlal Nehru (I know this name would incite the greatest deal of deliberation). But in my defence- being the first leader of a nascent nation requires the leader to be a great visionary if you want to put the nation at par with all the developed nations and this man was the greatest visionary of all times. IIT, IIM, public sector development, industrialization were all his brainchild. So yes, I have manifold reasons to enlist this leader with a gift of extraordinary vision and astounding leadership to accomplish that vision.
I guess that was quite a detour from the intent of the blog. Coming back to the answer to my question, the film provided is a dialogue from the movie. To quote Naseeruddin Shah "The common man is resilient by force and not my choice". I truly believe that a bubble is waiting to burst and the day of action is fast approaching.
Another novelty demonstrated by the filmmaker was to keep the protagonist-"The awakened common man" unnamed. The basic needs, thoughts, feelings and sensibilities of all of us-we "AAM Junta" is the same and it transcends every possible social/communal divide and hence gauging a common man's motives by his religion is a futile exercise. I guess this essence has been brilliantly captured in the movie when this man addresses himself as a stupid common man and refrains from revealing his name-lest he be judged.
I conclude by saying: Three Cheers to such filmmakers who truly inspire every cine goer and use this medium with a stupendous reach so effectively!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

nicee lady...cant wait to see the movie..well written and true actually why would be ready to fight and take matters into our hands if we werent provoked in the first place....unless we r truly evil and just want to cause destruction....

Anonymous said...

i still feel that the indian diaspora is resilient more by choice ....if a victim from the mumbai blasts were to ask us .....if any of us would join hands with him and put our heads into the deep muck called the "system"... all u would hear is an echo of that cue reverbrating in the silence....
i think more often than not ppl conveniently forget the meaning of democracy....well that includes me too....
all the same i totally agree....the last piece by nasurudeen shah was quite a knockout!

yogi said...

Well Maya...I completely agree wid u...I am sure none of us would even wanna venture out of our comfort zone n even attempt waging a war against d system...But my problem is yes as an average common man it will be extremely difficult for me if not impossible to make a difference...but people who have power and money at their behest and d influence to mobilize people in the right direction too lead such sheltered lives.....
n yeah dat performance of Naseeruddin Shah was flawless..Infact that was a scene he could have faltered and played it to d gallery completely but he gave such a restrained performance elevating the scene to a completely different level!!!!

Unknown said...

well my thoughts is we are undermining the average guys potential....i truly believe its not how huge the change is its about that its change regardless and it starts with small changes so in general nothing in life is impossible or too difficult....there are so many channels to do it these day in fact its become much simpler to lend a hand now than it was like 50 years back....take RTI for example it actually got an entire village electricity and although its just one village it made a difference to that one....